Stewed Green Beans & Potatoes With Couscous
I'm not really sure what to call this recipe - it's inspired by the combination of two of my favourite dishes - a traditional Libyan dish, bil busla and a traditional Syrian dish, fasolia. Though it's a completely different recipe now, Ha! It's a very easy, comforting, sweet, and tasty recipe! It's vegan and it's delicious.
I will forever go back to this recipe - it's one of my favourites now! & I'm certain it will become one of yours too.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
0.5 tsp red chilli flakes
4 cups frozen green beans (fresh works too!)
3 white potatoes, chopped
1 (600 mL) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
1. Wash potatoes, cut into cubes or triangular pieces. Set aside.
2. Chop onions in half and then slices.
3. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, add onions to let fry for 1 minute, until soft.
4. Add all spices to the oil and onions. Mix & let cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add canned tomatoes, frozen green beans, tomato paste, crushed garlic, water and potatoes to the pot. Bring mixture to a boil for 3 minutes.
6. Cover and let cook over medium heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot on top of a bed of couscous & enjoy!
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup couscous
Bring water to a boil. Add couscous and turn off heat. Stir and cover for 6 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork. Serve hot and enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to check out more recipes on my instagram page @KatsHappyHealthyLife
Until next blog,